Positively Plausible

Monday, January 26, 2009

A lighthouse in the fog.

For the past week, or what seems like five weeks, we have had a very thick fog in Vancouver. Something that at first thought seems different or weird for this region. Many people have made comments on what seems like the usual banter about the daily weather, only now about fog. I hear hourly in my surroundings, "this fog sure is strange" and " Vancouver hasn't seen this type of fog in ever" then there is my personal favorite "this is all because of the inversion". This last one is at the top of my list because it's thrown around so very loosely. "The rare and strange inversion is causing this air mass to ... yadda yadda", from both meteorologists, bus patrons and co-workers alike. However, from what I can gather (and I'm not a meteorologist) inversion is necessary for almost all fog. So is inversion really that rare when fog is present? I asked this once and the response I got was that it was rare, for this region, but not necessarily as a phenomenon. This caused me to think. Ok, we are a city that is a harbor, surrounded by mountains and formerly a rain forest. Is it fog really rare. Those sound like perfect conditions for fog! Now, I'm not only not a meteorologist, but I'm also no (I am now looking up the most appropriate profession) ...geologist? So I'm not sure, but these thoughts of our conditions here, in this city, make me more curious as to why we aren't best friends with inversion.

But I digress...

Yesterday the skies opened up, or as they say, the fog cleared. There it was low and behold... the beautiful sight of the City of Vancouver. Man it was stunning. I had forgotten what anything that wasn't seven feet in front of me looked like. This is why the view of the mountains, majestic and white, not a cloud to be seen was so refreshing. I heard a much different tone from the players of weather talk, now it was stuff like, "as soon as that sun comes out you feel different, don't ya?" or the joyful "beautiful day innit?" and on the other end of the spectrum, my favourite " Sure is F'n great out!" The joy was over whelming, everyone could see and appreciate the beauty that hid behind the misty curtains that had been pulled back. Revealing the beauty that we knew was there, but could only dream of grasping in the depths of fog.

Two days and two nights with no blindness during day, no calling out in front of you, no scary road crossings, not knowing if some car is speeding your way. Most noticeably, no deep bellowing and somber sound of the lighthouse in the night warning the ships of potential danger.

and like the scar in the valley our city is, it hit me. The fog in our life is only here to help us weed through the dismal life, working towards the beauties that lie behind. So I welcome you, oh rare inversion, my friend whom no other can understand. You are the lighthouse, in the dismal life I refuse to acknowledge. Today I go without you, clear headed, happy and hopeful; but perhaps tomorrow I will wander again, with only the deep horn and your light's blip in the sky, to guide me through a night.

Happy wave riding everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment